- Publishing A Book: 5 Tips and Strategies
- 1. Picking an engaging and interesting topic
- 2. Know the publishing rules
- 3. Plan and stick and budget
- 4. Develop an effective marketing strategy
- 5. Picking the right publisher
- Extra Tips for Book Publishing
The publication of a well-written and versatile book is every writer’s greatest dream. It is, after all, the best way to make a name in the publishing and writing industry. Everyone sees the success, the readers have felt the passion and dedication through the words but, no one will see the struggle, the obstacles, and the challenges that a writer must go through while writing a masterpiece, most especially if they are doing it alone, and this includes the research, the actual writing, the repetitive process of proofreading, correcting, and editing that will result in multiple versions and drafts.
All of that, but what we, bystanders, only see is the book’s publication and promotion. But this is also what every writer’s dream is all about. They forget all the struggles when they see the fruits of their labor coming to life.
Experienced writers would say that all the struggles and challenges are nothing compared to the sense of fulfillment when the book is completed and ready.
In this article, we will be discussing the five different effective and efficient tips and steps that are incorporated and contributory in the successful publication of a book and how every author and writer can make it achievable through some additional tips and strategies. Let us begin.
Publishing A Book: 5 Tips and Strategies
Publishing a book entails a lot of hard work, dedication, commitment and determination with the end result, hopefully, with readers being satisfied and appreciating the book. It is one of the author’s goal to have readers purchase or read a book without regret and hesitation.
Listed below are five effective steps and tips that can be used in publishing a book, as well as resources that are involved in the process.
1. Picking an engaging and interesting topic
To begin with, deciding on a topic or a set of topics for a book’s content is very poignant as it plays a key role in the author and writer’s successful publication.
The scope and core of a topic can either revolve in three themes and types which are non-fiction, memoir and fiction.
Defined as a type and kind of book that covers the literary creation of a book proposal, as well as the usage of researches and interviews that are contributory to the development of a specific content that aids in solving the reader’s problems
The kind and type of book that focuses on telling the story of a renowned and legendary person. A memoir follows a specific writing outline which is used by all writers who want to write a memoir of themselves or someone else.
A type and kind of book that focuses on the creation of a novel. This includes the drafting of the storyline and the settings, sketching and the description of the characters and mapping out of the plot.
The three themes mentioned are one of the commonly used in the publishing and book-writing industry. However, these are not supposed to limit the author. Writers can engage and explore more and seek the type of themes they are comfortable and want to write in.
2. Know the publishing rules
In every initiative in life, it is best to know the history, the fundamentals, rules and foundation before venturing in. This also applies in the publishing industry where a writer should be well-versed with the background and significant knowledge about the publishing industry. It is important to know the do’s and don’t and the in’s and out’s, as well as building rapport with editors and publishing companies.
Other than publishing rules, it is also important to create a routine. Creating a routine ensures that the writing schedule is aligned with family time, personal obligations and even with a full-time job. This is also helpful in a way of maintaining momentum and interest in writing. Other than that, establishing a routine helps create a balance between writing and all other life factors. Along with that, the writer should also be aware of the importance of time, skills, efforts, and willingness to learn all of the groundwork.
The long term effect of this practice entails a successful publication.
3. Plan and stick and budget
Nothing in life comes for free and that includes writing your own book and eventually, publishing it. The budget is a beneficial part when it comes to writing and publishing and sticking to it is as important.
The writer should look into all of the details pertaining to the financial aspect as to not waste money. Publication budget involves the cost of the book’s quality, editing, cover design, formatting and marketing.
It is also essential to project financial matters on a futuristic level in order to foresee needed or insignificant expenses. One prime example of this is ordering a huge bulk order and ending up only selling a few of them. This leaves the writer with a bunch of sealed books, unsold. Publishing companies have an option for print-on-demand, which is better if the writer is just starting out.
4. Develop an effective marketing strategy
Marketing plays a huge part in the success of the writer and the book and this is why it is important to take advantage of the numerous marketing strategies available. There are two marketing strategies that are proven and tested to be helpful for businesses:
Utilize the million users of social media and share chunks and snippets of the book. Make sure these are interesting and cliffhangers to pique and catch the attention of prospective readers.
Testimonials and Book Reviews
Testimonials and book reviews from avid readers and book buyers is also a big help to get your book out there. Especially if the review comes from a famous Internet personality such as social media influencers, a reliable book savvy with significant followers or an influential person in society. Their review could come in a form of a YouTube video or a social media post.
There are two results that come with these strategies. One, increase the reading audience, and two, contribute to the gross sales and income.
5. Picking the right publisher
To successfully publish a book, it is important that you choose a publisher that will also compromise with your terms and conditions. It should be a win-win situation for both of you.
Publishers are willing to work and partner with a writer who possesses these highly needed elements:
First, a strong, well-written, synchronized and relevant manuscript of the book will greatly matter a lot to the publisher. The book’s manuscript is the carrier of the book’s holistic reflection in a manner of manifesting what it is all about, what the reader can get from it and how it can be applied in real life.
It is also important that in order to achieve a relevant manuscript, the writer should have the initiative and effort of self-editing as well as incorporate the help of a professional. This starts from the early phases up until the finals stage of publishing.
Second, an appealing cover and interior book format. The cover of the book attracts a lot of readers which in the long run, entices them to purchase one for themselves, thus garnering more sales on the part of the author and writer.
If these two elements are met by the author, it is definitely not impossible to partner with the desired publisher.
Extra Tips for Book Publishing
Here are some helpful and beneficial strategies that can be applied and widely used by the writer in self-publishing a book.
1. Decipher the main reason why you would want to publish a book and make it your inspirational goal.
2. Write your book daily in order to maintain your interest, momentum, love and willingness to write.
3. Never hesitate to seek for friendly and professional feedback before publishing your book.
4. Select a book title that will reflect the entire book’s intent and content.
5. It is advised that you hire a professional book editor to contribute to the editing phase of your book.
6. The book cover’s design should inspire its readers to the path of transformative change and conversion.
7. The creation of a direct publishing account will aid the writer in being hands-on with the book’s publication.
8. Formatting and uploading your book will absolutely contribute to the book’s popularity which will result in the increase of the author and writer’s reading audience, as well as with its positive reviews, testimonials and feedback.
9. Self-publishing a book is highly recommended for the reason that it promotes authenticity and ingenuity on the part of the writer.
10. Pricing your book should be determined by its quality and quantity.
11. It is advised that the writer should form a launch team that will work in unison during the launching of the book.
12. The book launch should serve as a platform wherein the writer should maximize and optimize the book’s exposure to the attending public.
13. The writer should celebrate the publication of the book. It’s a huge milestone and is a sought-after goal for every writer of the world.